Friday, June 8, 2012

Do I really want to succeed?

I remember this idea I had in my head for the longest time, I had a suspicion that I actually didn't want myself to succeed. Why would I run 5 miles and later that day cancel it out with calories, saying "I deserve this."

I finally heard someone put a name to the thoughts I had about what I saw doing. "Self-sabotage." Having a name helped so much. I could stop myself before eating the ice cream I thought I deserved and say, "I am self-sabotaging, why am I doing this?"

But even with identifying the problem it has still been important to figure out what my reason is for not wanting to succeed. I have figured out a few reasons but there could be many for you. If you think you struggle with self-sabotage you need to figure out why you are doing it. Do you think you're not worth it? Do you want to make sure people really like you for you, and not the way you look? Are you protecting yourself somehow from being hurt with a wall of being overweight? Knowing the reason is the beginning of the healing you will need to do before you truly succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment